What exactly happens when you store water in a copper water bottle?
When water is stored in a copper water bottle overnight or for over eight hours, a very small amount of copper ions gets dissolved into the water. This process is called Oligodynamic effect which has the ability to destroy a wide range of harmful microbes, molds, fungi etc.
What does Ayurveda say?
Ayurveda states that when you drink water stored in a copper water bottle, it has the ability to balance all the three doshas in our body Vata, Pitta and Kapha and also has many health benefits (to know more about the 3 doshas and how they affect your personality and body, read my older post on this topic, click here ). This happens because copper vessel positively charges the water. The therapeutic water from a copper vessel is called Tamra jal in Sanskrit. The traces of copper in a Tamra jal are safe and in fact, healthy.
The right way to drink water from a copper vessel:
- First, it is very important to buy vessels that are made of Pure Copper. Do not buy the ones that have other metals mixed in it. Some of the common vessels made with copper are copper water jugs or a Kalash.
- Once you have bought it, rinse it out thoroughly with water. Then fill it with water and cover it. Let the water rest for 6 hours (minimum) to 8 hours (maximum) and then drink it.
- You can follow this ancient Ayurvedic practice:
Keep water in a copper water bottle overnight by your bedside and drink this water first thing in the morning when you wake up. This particular practice is very useful in stimulating your bowel movements in the morning. This practice will keep your digestive system very healthy and set your metabolism for rest of the day. You will feel very refreshed and light every day.
Benefits of drinking water stored in a copper water bottle:
1. Prevents water-borne diseases
2. Helps the digestive system to perform well
3. Aids in weight loss
4. Slows down aging
5. Good for heart health
6. Maintains hemoglobin level
7. Regulates the working of the thyroid glands
8. Stimulates the brain
9. Its anti-inflammatory
10. Fights free radicals
How much is too much?
– Drinking water from copper water bottle has numerous health benefits but this does not mean that you can drink this water all day long.
– Drinking water stored in the copper vessel once in the early morning and then in the evening is more than enough to get required amount of copper for our body.
– Remember you should not drink this copper vessel water all year long. Once you start drinking water stored in a copper vessel you can continue this practice for three months and then take a break for one month (stop drinking water stored in the copper vessel). After a one month break, you can continue drinking water again from a copper vessel for next three months. This gives our body time to remove any excess copper deposited in our body. The body has its own mechanism of eliminating the excess of anything.
Ayurvedic rules are very precise and if we follow them accordingly we will never get any side effects.
Copper utensils stain and darken over a period of time. This happens naturally, due to a process called Oxidation. You might have heard that keeping copper vessels looking new and shiny isn’t that easy. Well, not any more! Here are a few quick and easy ways to wash / clean your copper bottles and vessels at home, and make them shine like new again! See cleaning solutions below.
Lemon and Salt Method:
This is the most traditional and easiest method of cleaning copper vessels. These two ingredients are easily available in any kitchen.
Simply take some salt in a bowl, cut a lemon in half and dip it into salt. Rub this lemon over the copper vessel. While doing this, gently squeeze the lemon so that lemon juice will mix with salt. Here, the salt will also act as a scrubber. Repeat this process until you cover the copper vessel completely. Once you are done you can clean it with your regular dishwasher and wash it thoroughly.
How to Clean Inside of Copper Bottle With Lemon and Salt:
To clean a copper bottle from the inside, just squeeze half a lemon into the bottle, and add 1 tablespoon of salt and 1/2 a cup of water in it. Close the lid and shake the mixture thoroughly just like you shake your protein shake! Pour this mixture out and rinse the bottle with water. You will be amazed to see how your copper bottle is shining from inside too! To clean a copper bottle from the outside follow the instructions mentioned above.
To clean copper bottle from the inside, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 cup of water in it. Close the lid and shake the mixture thoroughly. Pour this mixture out and rise the bottle with fresh water. That’s it, your copper bottle should look as good as new!
Baking Soda Method:
Baking soda is also a very good option for cleaning copper vessels. Instead of salt, you can use baking soda with lemon or vinegar and follow the same techniques mentioned in the above methods.
You can also find Ready-made Copper Cleaning solutions for Copper Vessels
- Make sure to dry your utensils completely with cotton cloth after washing them with water. This will avoid stain buildup on your copper vessel due to water again.
- When not in use always keep your copper vessel completely dry and always keep them in a dry place.
- You can also clean your copper vessel with regular dishwashing detergent before or after using above mentioned methods of cleaning.
Thank you again, to Madhavi Kale Bodke for this concise information. Check out her blog!